Saturday 6 April 2013

"Here fishy fishy fishy...."

“The random task of sexing KOI.”

I am fortunate enough to have a very good relationship with my boyfriend’s family and him with mine. We have been together for the better part of a decade and he is simply lovely.

But…. And this is my fault entirely, I find it excessively difficult to say no to familial responsibilities or when my skills are in need. For this reason, I often find myself doing random chores that are mundane and/or strange shopping for random objects like stuffing for pillows or materials or ping -pong balls etc…

But I have been allocated my strangest task to date recently. The job of “sexing” KOI fish. Yes, you read that correctly. Now, I am no Ichthyologic expert here but as those of you who know me- I always need to find out the answer (The OCD in me has to be front of the queue) and thus my good friend Google is always up to this task.

So why may you ask have I been assigned this specific task, well there is a problem of overpopulation in a water pond on my “in-laws” property- the KOI are so happy they are breeding at a very high rate!! My father, the lover of nature and animal savior who has a particular fondness for fish is only too thrilled to take on the excess KOI. Thus the task to find out the genders in order to allow some breeding in future but at a manageable rate- turns out its all a question of stomach width, pectoral fin shape and roughness of gill- yes male KOI actually grow a kind of stubbly beard!!

So my Saturday morning has consisted of chasing fish from one side of the pond to the other to try and get pictures of each one! I look like an army nut doing a sort of foot-in-foot-out-knee-high-kicks (the pond has a narrow area which you can place your feet on either side of) Might I add that I am also quite clumsy, a trait I picked up from my papa. So,I cant help smiling to myself imagining my father- a rather rotund and clumsy giant trying to catch his precious fishhhh when the time comes !!!

Stay tuned,

Ill definitely keep you posted on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment