Tuesday 19 March 2013

Excuses, excuses....


“Don’t worry, someone else will pick him up!”
“Maybe it bites or has rabies?”
“He definitely looks like he knows where he is going…..”
“He looks like a runner-there is no way we can catch him.”

Written by L.Meldau.
March 2013

We have all had these guilt stricken moments of seeing an animal running frantically in the streets and having that split second moment to decide what to do. Yes, I shall take full responsibility in admitting that I have occasionally used one of the above excuses for no other reason then to make my own conscience feel better. It is only now as I type that it dawns on me how truly “unbelievable” these rationalizations are!

Yes, they are practical excuses but it does disturb me that they are too often used because it is deemed too much effort to pull over and help an animal in need- even when you have the time! It is at moments like these that the phrase


”A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”

that really rings true in my mind and contributes to this guilt. The complete adoration and devotion given by an animal does not have excuses or limitations. To them you are a “forever love” not just a transient play- thing.

So yes this blog may not move one to go out and help every street animal that comes across one’s path, but I do hope it encourages one of being more cognizant and aware of when and how you can help.

A little effort goes a long way. Actions speak louder then words.

Rant over
Until next time

L

No comments:

Post a Comment